GelRed is an ultra-sensitive, extremely stable, and environmentally safe fluorescent nucleic acid dye designed to replace the highly toxic ethidium bromide (EtBr) for staining dsDNA, ssDNA, or RNA in agarose gels or polyacrylamide gels. GelRed™ is far more sensitive than EtBr without requiring a destaining step.
GelRed and EtBr have virtually the same spectra, so you can directly replace EtBr with GelRed™ without changing your existing imaging system.
GelRed™ can be used to stain dsDNA, ssDNA or RNA in agarose gels via either precast or post gel staining or can be used to stain polyacrylamide gels via post gel staining. GelRed™ is also compatible with downstream DNA manipulations such as restriction digest, sequencing, and cloning.
A series of safety tests have confirmed that GelRed™ is noncytotoxic, nonmutagenic, and nonhazardous at concentrations well above the working concentrations used in gel staining. As a result, GelRed™ can be safely disposed of down the drain or in the regular trash, providing convenience and reducing the cost of waste disposal.
GelRed™ 10,000X solution in water is the latest formulation that eliminates the hazards of handling DMSO for better safety. We also carry GelRed™ 10,000X solution in DMSO (Catalog # G-720), for the established users of GelRed™ in DMSO, who do not wish to change their laboratory protocols. The performance and stability of GelRed™ 10,000X is comparable in both the water and DMSO formulations.
- Safer than Ethidium Bromide: Shown by the Ames test and other tests to be nonmutagenic and noncytotoxic
- Easy disposal: Passed environmental safety tests for direct disposal down the drain or in regular trash
- Ultra-sensitive: Higher sensitivity than EtBr and SYBR Safe
- Extremely stable: Available in water, stable at room temperature for long-term storage, and microwavable
- Simple to use: Very simple procedures for precast or post-electrophoresis gel staining
- Compatible with a standard UV transilluminator: Replaces EtBr with no optical setting change
- Compatible with downstream applications: Compatible with gel purification, restriction digest, sequencing, and cloning.
Storage/Handling: Store at room temperature. Protect from light.
GelRed and its uses are covered by US patent numbers 7960498, 7803943, and 8232050. SYBR is the trademark of Molecular Probes, Inc.